On December 15, 2020, Minister KISHI held a video teleconference with the Minister of Defense of the Federative Republic of Brazil, H.E. Mr. Fernando Azevedo e SILVA, followed by the signing ceremony of the Memorandum on Defense Cooperation and Exchanges.
- Both Ministers welcomed the signing ceremony of the Memorandum in virtual form and recognized the significance of the defense ministerial conference while facing the difficulty of each visit caused by the spread of the COVID 19.
- They recognized the importance of the free and open maritime order based on the rule of law in light of sharing fundamental values including democracy and the rule of law.
- Both Ministers also concurred in promoting bilateral defense cooperation in the context of preventing the spread of infectious diseases, including sharing expertise and lessons learned during disaster relief operations, in light of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- They exchanged views on defense cooperation and exchanges and agreed to further develop cooperation in the field of HA/DR.
- In this context, both Ministers also concurred in proactively promoting defense cooperation and exchanges based on the signed Memorandum, while maintaining close communication between the defense authorities.
- As defense authorities as well, they agreed on cooperation through sharing expertise and lessons for the successful, safe, and secure “Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020”, to which the Olympic baton was passed over from Rio.